At the end of our practice, we go through a series of steps that we call The Closing Sequence.
The 5 main benefits of the Closing Sequence as as follows:
- It helps us to transition from a deep meditative state back to our everyday reality.
- It stimulates acu-points around the eyes, bringing much-need qi to them.
- It stimulates the acu-points along the scalp, particularly the baihui (GV20) point at the top of the head. This point is known to relieve stress and anxiety, reduce fatigue, and clear brain fog. It is also said to boost brainpower.
- It stimulates the acu-points on the ear, which are actually a microcosm for the entire body. So by stimulating these points, we actually stimulate the entire meridian system.
- It brings energy to the entire face, make us look younger. (I sometimes jokingly call this a Qigong Facelift.)
- Rubbing the Hands
- Warming the Eyes
- Patting the Eyes
- Washing the Face
- Combing the Hair
- Point Massage: Inner Corner of Eye (Bladder 1, jing ming, 睛明)
- Point Massage: Inner Edge of Eyebrows (Bladder 2, zhan zhu, 攢竹)
- Point Massage: Stroking the Eyebrows
- Point Massage: Middle of Eyebrow (Extra Meridian 3, Yuyao, 魚腰)
- Point Massage: Outer Edge of Eyebrow (Sanjiao 23, si zhu kong, 絲竹空)
- Point Massage: Outer Edge of Eye (Gallbladder 1, tong zi liao, 瞳子髎)
- Point Massage: Below the Eye (Stomach 1, cheng qi, 承泣)
- Stroking Under the Eyes ((Stomach 1, cheng qi, 承泣)
- Point Massage: Inner Corner of the Eye (Bladder 1, jing ming, 睛明)
- Stroking the Nose
- Point Massage: The Base of the Nose (Large Intestine 20, ying xiang, 迎香)
- Point Massage: The Temples (Extra Meridian 5, tai yang, 太陽)
- Point Massage: Behind the Ears (Sanjiao 17, yifeng, 翳風)
- Rubbing the Ears
- The 24 Heavenly Drums
You should do The Closing Sequence at the end of every 5-Phase Routine. You can also do it on its own. For example, if you’re sitting at your desk at work, and you’re losing focus, go through The Closing Sequence. It only takes a minute, and you’ll feel much fresher afterward.
Here is a video review of the complete sequence:
Best regards, Sifu Anthony I’m Anthony Korahais, and I used qigong to heal from clinical depression, low back pain, anxiety, and chronic fatigue. I’ve already taught thousands of people from all over the world how to use qigong for their own stubborn health challenges. As the director of Flowing Zen, I'm fully committed to helping people with these arts. In addition to my blog, I also teach online courses and offer in-person retreats and workshops.