Sometimes, emails arrive in my inbox with questions that beg to be answered with a video.
A few weeks ago, a sincere young man named Nick sent this question.
“I read online that qigong is a style of kung fu. Is it true? I’m confused.”
Well Nick, the internet can be a pretty confusing place! With so much information at your fingertips, it’s hard to separate the true from the false.
Normally, I would write a blog post to answer Nick’s question. But this time, I decided that a video would work better.
Videos are a fantastic teaching tool because they give me the ability to demonstrate my answers. I can also pronounce confusing Chinese terms.
I shot this quick video in the Ozark mountains after giving an advanced qigong workshop to a wonderful group of students at the Stone Wind Retreat.
If you’re still confused about how kung fu relates to qigong, then the video below will help.
Here are some of the topics covered:
- The real meaning of kung fu…
- How Tai Chi Chuan fits in…
- The confusion with wushu…
- Various styles of kung fu:
- The Shaolin Five Animals…
- Wing Chun Kung Fu…
- Tai Chi Chuan…
- The dividing line between qigong and kung fu…
- The flowing characteristics of Tai Chi Chuan…
- Cursive writing vs. block writing in kung fu…
- Is Lifting The Sky a form of kung fu?
- Can you fight with Golden Bridge Qigong?
- One Finger Zen Qigong
- Shooting Arrows Qigong
- Martial vs. Non-martial Qigong.
Watch the video for free here:
I’ve written on this topic before. If you’d like to read more, here are 4 good places to start:
- The Difference Between Tai Chi, Qi Gong, and Chai Tea
- How Tai Chi Lost Its Mojo
- The Difference Between Kung Fu, Gung Fu, and Gung Ho.
- The History of Qigong and Tai Chi: Facts And Myths
Do you enjoy video blogs like this? If so, let me know in the comments below.
Normally, I prefer to use the written word along with images, but videos can be super helpful. I hope that you found this video helpful. If you’d like me to shoot more like this, then make sure to let me know! From the heart, Sifu Anthony